Thursday, March 1, 2007

Month Two: February


February 2007, originally uploaded by juliecinci.


1. My little city lights, 2. Funschooling, 3. After, 4. Moon using dusk/dawn setting, 5. Dog and his girl, 6. Squirrel in black and white, 7. Xavier stairs in b&w, 8. Snow day, 9. My cardinal in the snow, 10. Self-Portrait in goggles, 11. Jumping for Joy, 12. After ski, 13. Still runs, 14. Jacob loses the cast, 15. Dr. Dewey, 16. One restaurant, 17. Friends at the bridal shower, 18. Hot LAX cleats, 19. Silver, 20. Icicles in b&w, 21. Jon's Coke Zero, 22. Ice swirl in blue, 23. Xavier quad in winter, 24. Married to the computer, 25. The Cone: off season, 26. Weekend Getaway, 27. Playing footsies, 28. Council of Chalcedon, 29. Rain, rain, go away, 30. Caitrin sews a quilt, 31. Beauty and the Beast, 32. Little book of color, 33. Yummy French Bread, 34. Sunset over lacrosse, 35. Floating bike, 36. Kneeling before the blackboard

Created with fd's Flickr Toys.

It was such a great challenge to attempt black and white photos over the course of a month. I created a black and white set and when I look at it, I see what Beth calls "the architecture" of photography - the lines, the contrasts, the importance of light. I hope I continue to look for b&w subjects the rest of the year. It was just plain different to look for those subjects than color.

All that said, I'm happy to be back to color. Winter was far more colorful than I ever realized. Photography helped this winter to become much more alive for me than in years past.

6 comments:

Ianqui said...

You, of course, are going about B&W the right way.

It occurred to me at some point that if you have a crappy picture and you turn it black and white, it somehow looks more "artistic". Well, at least that's what I tried to convince myself!

Real black and white takes a lot of sophistication, and your photos reflect the fruits of your labors.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much. Coming from you (my current photographic guru), I take it as a huge compliment. :)

SUSAN said...

I finally learned how to do B&W the last night of February but the photo I had for that day just didn't look good in black and white, so I will attempt a few B&W's during the month of March. I really like your collage...lots of energy and varied experiences there.

Have you had your wine today? ;-)

Susan

Colleen said...

Another great retrospective. I'll figure it out sooner or later...!

Ampersand said...

I like the way the color pops here and there amongst the B&W. Have to agree with Ianqui, your B&W shots are fantastic.

Scrivener said...

You really do have some great pictures from the past month. I really enjoying seeing these mosaics encapsulating the months. The photo that still jumps (haha) out at me the most amongst these, is that "Jumping for Joy." I just love that picture.

flickr

Site Meter