Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Taming of the Shrew


Taming of the Shrew, originally uploaded by juliecinci.

The Cincinnati Shakespeare Company has a high school company called the Groundlings. Both Johannah and Noah have been a part of it. It meets from Sept. to April every Saturday. This year, Johannah's company produced "The Taming of the Shrew" with a gender twist. The casting reversed all roles. Boys played girl parts and girls played boy parts. Notice "fair Bianca" in the red headband next to Johannah (in the brown leather jacket). Kate is the boy in the red shiny shirt, lipstick ala Rocky Horror Picture Show and the black pants.

Great performances and a trifle sad for our family. Jacob and Liam have no interest in participating in these Shakespeare companies so after seven years of intimate involvement with these professional actors through Noah and Johannah, we'll be bidding them anon.

6 comments:

Susanne Barrett said...

What a lovely young woman! Congratulations to her on a play well done! I love "Taming." :)

Ampersand said...

Oh, you got a great shot. I'm sad with you that the Shakespeare season is ending...

Dancingirl said...

Fun! Interesting twist with the switched roles. I understand the bittersweet. Juli has real interest in performing on stage. She'll get up on a beam before speaking a few words! (Though she suprised me in class by doing a great job with her parts.)

Sandie said...

What a great experience! Even though you don't have anyone interested at the moment, it just means you will be making new connections and having new adventures with the others.

Dalissa McEwen Reeder said...

Wah.
Sweet shot. I like the gender twist.

Scrivener said...

Great shot. I'm doing amateur Shakespeare now, and my kids have totally loved coming to rehearsals and watching the plays. They learn my lines at least as well as I do, laugh at their own imagined jokes in the dialog, and generally just have a big time with the plays. So I'm hoping it's something they'll continue with into the future, and I understand your bittersweet reaction.

flickr

Site Meter