Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Jacob's jazz


Jacob's jazz, originally uploaded by juliecinci.

Jacob and I had fun shooting his saxophone play yesterday. Learned more about the camera settings. I have two photos that I liked: one that is clearer than this picture and this one. I chose to post this photo because no matter how often I looked at it, I could hear his music. The other one is just a nice shot. Would love to know which one you like better. Might help me think through how to choose photos. The problem with this picture is the graininess of the hand on the left side and the mild blur on the edges. The other picture is technically pure but I feel like it lacks the vitality, even while I like the clarity of both hands and edges.

Jacob likes the way you can see his cast in this photo. :) He performed an ensemble the other night for a grade and they did really well! Who knew you could "blow" with a broken wrist?

(Off to ski today and then straight to a potluck and Doctrine 1. I'll catch you all on the flip side.)

10 comments:

Dalissa 365 said...

I like the one you chose better. I think one reason I like this one better is because I can see the motion in his hand on the upper part of the instrument. The composition of this one is slightly more appealing as well. If I can, I might see if I can open your shot up in photoshop. I am unsure if the graininess of the hand can be helped but I think it might be neat to try the unsharp mask on it to make it a little sharper and to dodge some of the highlights on the sax. If I try it, I'll email you later.

Unknown said...

I don't have photoshop (Jon does though). I like your suggestions. I went into iPhoto but didn't like any of the options there. If you do try it, I'd love to see what difference it makes.

I'm glad you like this one better too. I think you spotted my reasons. :)

LauraLiz said...

I like the one you choose. It seems to document the "feel" of the music and the musician more. Yes, the other is sharper (and I love the reflections in the sax), but for all the reasons I'm taking all these photos, my vote is for the active one (and I like that one hand is "holding the fort" and the other is in motion!).

Dalissa 365 said...

I don't think Flicker will let me download your photo onto my desktop so if you want me to play with it, I guess you'll have to email me a copy. I am by no means a photoshop wizard but Jeff's been giving me little lessons here and there.

MaryD said...

I like the one you chose better. The other one looks almost sterile to me... this one has the motion of the hand, and the hands are not the sharpest focus, but then the sax jumps out at me and I think I can hear the music too.

Sandie said...

The composition of the one you chose is better. I like the life and movement. In the other one though, I love the fact that YOU are in the reflection. As for choosing I go with life over technique any day.

Jess said...

This one seems the better choice to me - I like the blurred fingers; it suggests the movement of his fingers over the keys, maybe that's why you can "hear" it?

My husband may have liked the other shot. Since I've started this project we've discovered we value different aspects in pictures, he likes clarity and I mostly go for natural color and light. I've always thought he takes good pictures though and we both assumed I'm wasn't good with a camera, but now he's complimenting my pictures even as he disagrees with me - how's that for confusing? ;)

SUSAN said...

I like the one you chose but I'm not sure why. It feels "closer" and I like his fingers moving. Great shot!

Susan

my15minutes said...

I like the lighting on the other one, but I like the photo you chose better, because of the sense of movement and activity going on.

Colleen said...

I much prefer the one you posted, Julie. It conveys activity ~ making music ~ and joy. The other looks too posed. I wouldn't do a thing to change this picture, either, but of course, I'm not a photoshop fan. ;-)

flickr

Site Meter