Monday, February 5, 2007

Xavier University stairs in b&w


Xavier stairs in b&w, originally uploaded by juliecinci.

I'm going nuts with photography now. In the 4 degree (that's right 4 degrees Fahrenheit) weather, in pink gloves, I snapped pictures of my campus and the postcard blue sky... and then had to convert at least one of them to b&w. This photo was deliberate for this project. I wanted all those sharp lines... the way the white lines on the steps are skinny and get wider as the steps descend. I liked the long skinny shadow coming at me and the way the railing gets a big flash of white on black in the middle. Patches of snow give more white to contrast the grey.

Are you sick of me describing the photo you can see right in front of your eyes? I'm taking notes in the blog entry to help me remember what I was trying to achieve, so ignore all comments if they are tedious. :)

2 comments:

NoVA Dad said...

Not tedious at all; I'm enjoying them. And I hear you with the cold weather photography; I posted some on my photo blog today that were taken in 17 degree weather.

- Matt

Dalissa 365 said...

I really like this photo and all of the different lines, shadows and highlights you've captured. The reflection on the rail gives it just the right focus.

flickr

Site Meter