Thursday, January 11, 2007

Stalwart Farmhouse


Stalwart Farmhouse, originally uploaded by juliecinci.

Every day I drive by this "last of a dying breed" farmhouse. It is across the street from Jacob's high school and houses several cows and one deer who thinks he's a cow. The land is ideal for development due to its location. But these farmers have said "no" repeatedly.

Because of this 365 project, I realized that I needed to get a photo of it to remember it by because it will not always be there. Here's the amazing thing. I was driving while I snapped this shot. I literally held up my right hand, glanced at the screen and clicked. One take.

I didn't even realize until I uploaded the photo that I had such good composition with barbed wire, the house to the right, the balanced trees. I love the sense of movement as though time is trying to catch up with and overtake the farm.

10 comments:

Sandie said...

It is a great shot! I like the time element quite a bit. We have a few of those old farmhouses around here. As a matter of fact the one next door to us was just torn down to make way for a complex of patio homes. So where we had one neighbor we will now have 100.

NoVA Dad said...

Having been to my most recent photo blog entry, you know how I feel about farms:-) This is a great photo; thanks for posting -- it's something that far too many people don't ever have a chance to see and enjoy.

- Matt

SUSAN said...

I thought I had clicked on Matt's blog when I saw the photo....since he did the farm photos's yesterday.

Love the flying fence in the front and I'm a sucker for farms.

Susan

Paula said...

It is a great shot. And kudos to you for capturing it before it disappears forever from the landscape.

my15minutes said...

Yep, your 'eye' is really good, and improving with the practice you're getting at this medium. I love everything you mentioned about the composition, too.

Dalissa 365 said...

I am amazed that you took the picture while driving and got a decent shot. I took some photos while driving the other day but they all left too much to be desired plus they were places that had already been destroyed and replaced by development. I like this photo and the movement. I also really enjoyed the photo of Caitrin yesterday and can't remember if I had time to comment. I hope to get some photos of the farm houses around here at some point because they are one of the reasons why I love to live where I do.

LauraLiz said...

I hope one day to live in an old farmhouse. My in-laws lived out in the country, and my mil is now taking care of four old houses, several barns, and lots of acreage. I love the sense of history that hangs around the old houses.

Good job!

Ampersand said...

Amazing. Sometimes those spontaneous, one take only pictures are just so incrediblye. Really feels like a gift when you get one.

Dancingirl said...

Amazing!! It worked. Great composition and I love the country and old houses and get sad that so many are neglected and alone.

Colleen said...

A picture really does tell a thousand words, doesn't it? Wonderful composition here, Julie! Now people can go look at my "under the eaves" shot from today and experience vicariously the realities of living in an old farmhouse. LOL

flickr

Site Meter